My other blog: What a beautiful day!

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Stones of the 12 tribes, the importance of remembering -- Joshua 4

Thinking about the stones...it reminds me of the NT where Peter was refered to as a rock upon which the church is to be built on. So it's a kind of foundation? To me it's like a will, when someone dies, he leaves a will, which legally he passes his material possesion down to his next generations. The stone speaks of a legacy that God has granted to the children of Israel, a foundation, an inheritance that they can build their lives upon.
Why do we need to remember? Because say if my father leaves me a house in his will, if I don't claim it, it won't be mine, if I don't believe it, I don't think it's mine, and if I don't remember it, then I won't use it and take possesion of it. I might still work my guts out all my life trying to buy a house, while not realising my father has already given me a mansion to inherit. Sometimes other people will be envy of my inheritance and try to steal or change that will that my father leaves me, and if I don't fight for the truth, if I just believe every lies that the enemy suggests, I could very easily lose that foundation, the inheritance I can receive at the beginning of my life without having to work for it myself.
The stones are a new monument. Up until now they've been busy trying to win God's approval. It's only an 11 day journey from Egypt to promised land, but God kept them going round and round for 40 years. Trying to win God's approval is a hard thing, it took most of the lives of the Israelites. It took Jesus all those whips and the cross. And after that we're signed with a legacy: We don't have to prove to God any more, God is on our side now! This is such a mansion for us to start our lives on. Sadly, there're so so many people just letting the enemy cheat their mansion away, and work their guts out tring to pay rent.... They're still working on their own salvations! I think that's why God repeated the importance of the stones: We got to remember, we got to take posession what's already ours!